Sunday, February 1, 2009

Welcome to our first blog!

My name is Michelle Sponseller and I am the Downtown Development Director for the City of Mt. pleasant and I am an optimist. There I've said it.

My glass is half-full. Clouds have silver linings. Tomorrow is a new day. Recessions lead to recoveries. Even bad fashion choices are quickly forgotten.

That's my outlook on life.

This year my New Year's resolution was to start a blog about the positive things happening in downtown mt. Pleasant to combat the negative economic news and help others rediscover the great things about our downtown.

At times this blog will point you to new merchandise in stores, great meals and drinks, or a note on one of the many activities we have throughout the year. You'll read notes from our business owners, staff, and customers. We'll have fun and be cheeky along the way.

Over the past year, my "go team!" attitude about downtown revitalization hasn't always been readily embraced. For every optimist out there who makes a positive statement there is a pessimist who makes a negative comment about it. Anonymously, of course.

I see this as a positive thing. . .as it's when people stop talking you better start worrying.

So, if my optimism has people talking about downtown, I'm doing my job.

But, here's the other thing about me.

I am also a realist.

Thinking happy thoughts about downtown revitalization is not enough. It takes a lot of hard work. It takes a lot of money. And it takes a lot of time and patience.

In 2009, I challenge you to see downtown Mt. Pleasant as a glass that is half-full. Whether it's half-full of Mountain Town Ultra Light or Chip River Weizen, Fifi's Chi Tea (iced or hot) or Max & Emily's Mocha coffee doesn't matter.

The point is there is a lot to appreciate about downtown Mt. Pleasant. Does our cup runneth over? Not yet, but with your help, it will.

I invite you to rediscover downtown Mt. Pleasant this year.

Try something new. It can be something new to downtown, or just new to you. It can be as adventurous as trying a new restaurant or salon, or as practical as trying a new bank or insurance company.

Go to www.downtownmp.com to discover all that downtown Mt. Pleasant has to offer. And keep in mind that the best is yet to come.

Have an idea for a blog topic? Drop us a line at downtown@mt-pleasant.org

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Michelle - city officials and city staff have a track record of illegal conduct, recent example Conduct Unbecoming. This propensity for illegal action may be inhibiting downtown revitalization.